Thursday 22 December 2011

Making up your own ebook covers, is it possible?

I'm an artistic kind of guy and fairly capable with the old computer but I certainly didn't have a clue where to start at making my own ebook cover. Somebody suggested I try Gimp Imaging Software, which is free. The only problem with such programmes is finding the time to learn how to use them.

But tonight I was too tired to write, so I thought I'd mess about with the programme a bit. This effort below took me about an hour to knock up. Be fair, it's a first attempt and I have never used Gimp before!

My first ebook?
Yes, I know it is too wide and doesn't conform to any ebook standards blah blah blah but hey, it looks OK for a complete novice's first attempt, doesn't it?

Then on the 2nd night I came up with this...

What do you think?

2nd attempt

4 comments:

  1. Considering the fact that you haven't done it before, yes. All of these programs are bears. They're never straightforward. Good luck, but if you decide to toss out Gimp and hire a cover designer, I highly recommend mine: Kelly Carter, Mad Spider Studio.

    Elise
    @CassidyJonesAdv

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is more than good for a first attempt at gimp! I have used gimp for various things for over a year now but I struggled a lot with it when I first started using the program... but I would like to think of myself as somewhat of a savant when it comes to it, brings out the artist in me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thnaks Elise, and yes, honestly - my first ever hour with GIMP. I'll take a look at Kelly Carter in due course, but I'm not intending to pay for anything until my books are selling!
    Hopefully it won't be too long before they do!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Marie! So, you're an expert with it eh???? Have to take a look at your work when I get the chance! What do you think of my second attempt? Better, or worse????

    ReplyDelete

Thank you!