Monday 17 October 2011

Do you Dream, or are you just a dreamer?

Do you Dream, or are you just a dreamer? 'Ah, but what's the difference?' I hear you say, 'apart from the capital D in the first question?'

Well, if you ask somebody what they dream about, they can interpret the question in two different ways...

  • First of all, there are the type of dreams that are your hopes and aspirations for the future. These are the dreams that you create, you decide on. You might dream of becoming a famous writer, or of being the next ebook millionaire. You might dream of meeting Natalie Portman (there I go again. Hi Nat!) or even Henry Kissinger... These dreams are man-made, they are your dreams and they are fickle. 
    Do dogs Dream?
  • Then there are Dreams. Now, these are the Dreams that happen to you when you are asleep. These Dreams you have no control over. These Dreams are not man-made, these Dreams are sent to you. A lot of work and effort goes into each and every one of them and these Dreams deserve a capital D. So it is important that you pay attention to your Dreams. They are, after all, sent to you for good reason...
So I ask you again, do you Dream or are you just a dreamer? If you remember your Dreams (and we all Dream, several different Dreams a night) then ask yourself these questions...
  1. What did I Dream about last night?
  2. Why did I Dream that? I mean, what is the purpose of such a Dream for me?
  3. Have I ever Dreamt a Dream that was clearly meant for somebody else, such as a Dream in a language I can't actually speak?
  4. Is there any Dreams I remember particularly well?
  5. Did I ever act on a Dream? If so, what was the result?
  6. Finally, why do I think we Dream at all?
Any comments regarding these questions would be greatly appreciated.

And don't forget, the next time you write the word 'dream', be sure to differentiate which dream you are talking about. If you mean to say 'Dreams', then give it the respect it deserves and use a capital D!

4 comments:

  1. The better question is, what amazing and incredibly memorable Dream were you having that caused you to wake up and ponder what the rest of us are Dreaming? It must have been a good one. (I Dream every night. They seem so vivid upon my waking. But, slowly fade away as I work my way into the day) Lovely post. (Dreamer)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely post. The better question is, what sort of wonderful and memorable Dream were you having that inspired you to inquire about what the rest of us are Dreaming? It must have been a good one. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jessie! Thanks for the comments! FYI, everybody Dreams every night, and we have about 5-8 different Dreams with a short break between each. Yes, they fade if we don't imprint them into our memory, or we don't remember them when wake up (sadly).

    My six book Dream Makers series came about when I woke up and spoke to my wife about her interrupted Dream (alarm clock). I said that the Dream 'must have been made for you...'

    And that started my new passion!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember a lot of my dreams. I remember some from when I was a kid too. Dreams of all kinds--the sleeping ones and the hope for a future ones--mean so much to me. :) Great post!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you!